So many people justify their wrongdoings in the name of Jesus. Society, as a whole, doesn’t truly understand who Jesus was at this point.
5 Things about Jesus
- God of all things (v. 15a, 19) - Paul describes Jesus as the image of God; "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation." When you realize that Jesus is the image of God, you can understand what true love is (God is love). "For in him, all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell,"
- Over all things v. 15b) - "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation." God uses the word "firstborn" to show a place of authority (not necessarily a literal "firstborn child").
- Creator of all things (v. 16) - "For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through Him and for Him." God created everything for Himself - including each one of us.
- Sustainer of all things (v. 17) - "And He is before all things, and in Him, all things hold together." Why do we run to various other things (entertainment, food, etc.) to sustain us when we have Jesus as our sustainer?
- Reconciler of all things (v 20) - "and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross." When Adam and Eve ate the fruit and sinned, they broke everything. Even through this, God desired to reconcile with us. This resulted in Christ’s death on the cross.